Sunday, December 9, 2012

In the Holiday Spirit

The tree is up, the decorations are set and I had one table with just a little too much room. Naturally, the solution for that must involve Pinterest and my abundant collection of empty wine bottles. I had seen a picture of a beautiful centerpiece and decided to investigate further. It was a little messier than what I thought it would be but it turned out great!

I used:
Ivory Indoor/Outdoor paint
Three wine bottles
spray adhesive (next time, I'll use Modpodge.... the spray adhesive turned out to be quite messy and one time use)
Epsom salt
A pretty tray

First, I made sure the wine bottles were clean. I tried taking the labels off using a kitchen knife to scrape but I quickly abandoned that idea when I nearly sliced off the tip of my middle finger. That is an important finger, afterall.

Then, since it has been unseasonably warm, I was able to spray paint the bottles outside with the indoor/outdoor paint. I made sure that the can specified the paint was safe to use on glass without a primer. I think I applied 3 or 4 coats, making sure that the paint dried in between applications. Also, it doesn't have to cover perfectly and smoothly. I used a paint with a satin finish and I, even though there were some thine and rough patches, it turns out fine in the end. I then allowed it to dry for another 24 hours.

Next, I laid news paper all over my work space and grabbed a large paper plate from our tailgating supplies. I poured a good amount of epsom salt into the plate. I grabbed my dried wine bottles and sprayed one down with adhesive... very messy business and I'm glad I had plenty of news paper. I then rolled the wine bottle in the salt. 

It makes for a very frosty look... I finished by placing the bottles in a silver tray, adding a tall, Christmas scented candle and putting little holiday sprigs in them ($0.50 at Michaels). I also used more epsom salt in the bottom of the tray. It turned out great!






No comments:

Post a Comment